This week features an assortment of entertainment at Stampede Park as Van Halen, The Black Keys and Stars on Ice all make their return to Calgary. Â Plus, help ring in Calgary’s year as the Cultural Capital of Canada with Calgary 2012’s Sweet City Opening Celebration!
Details on that and more here:
- Soaring: Â An Indigenous Youth Career Conference: Â Formerly known as Blueprint for the Future, this youth career conference is designed to attract First Nation, MÃ©tis and Inuit high school students to the wide array of potential careers available in all employment sectors. Â Featuring key not and motivational speakers, career workshops and exhibitors from all sectors of industry. Â Tuesday, May 8 in the BMO Centre. Â Pre-registration is required.
- Van Halen: Â Grammy award-winning Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductees Van Halen are returning to Calgary this week as part of their 2012 A Different Kind of Truth tour in support of their new album of the same name, along with special guests Kool & The Gang. Â Wednesday, May 9 at the Scotiabank Saddledome. Â Tickets for the concert are available through Ticketmaster.
- Calgary 2012 Sweet City Opening Celebration: Â Every momentous movement deserves to be launched in style! Help kick-off a full year of cultural activity with the wildest party of the year. Themes are Looking Back, Calgary Now, Looking Forward â€“ and EVERYONE IS INVITED. Featured guests include The Stampeders performing the Cultural Capital theme song, SWEET CITY WOMAN, dozens of surprise guests, activities and more. Â Friday, May 11 in the BMO Centre. Â Tickets are sold out, but some may be released closer to the event. Â Make sure to add yourself to the waiting list on Eventbrite.
- Funny Money with James Cunnigham: Â Funny Money is North America’s #1 FUN-ancial lecture. Â Designed to educate and entertain, this program helps people to learn the basics of personal finances using comedy, multimedia and audience participation. Â Featuring comedian James Cunningham. Â Thursday, May 10 in the Boyce Theatre.
- The Black Keys: Â American Grammy-award winning rock duo The Black Keys are back on tour to promote their new album El Camino and they’ll be performing in Calgary this week along with special guests Arctic Monkeys. Â Friday, May 11 at 8 p.m. in the Saddledome. Â Tickets for the concert are available through Ticketmaster.
- Stars on Ice: Â The world’s premier figure skating tour returns with an ensemble cast of Olympic, World and National Champions. Â This year’s Love ‘n’ Life tour features four-time figure skating World Champion Kurt Browning as he brings his directing talents to the tour for the first time. Â The magic takes place on Sunday, May 13 at 4 p.m. at the Saddledome. Â Tickets for the show are available through Ticketmaster.
OnlyÂ 61 days to goÂ until theÂ Calgary Stampede’s centennial!Â With festivities and other celebrations happening all over the place throughout the year to help celebrate 100 years of the Calgary Stampede, make sure to sign up to become aÂ Stampede InsiderÂ for first-access to exclusive news, contests and other insider information, and be sure to keep an eye on our official Twitter account atÂ @calgarystampedeÂ and ourÂ official Facebook fan pageÂ for giveaways, special announcements, and more! Finally, visitÂ our websiteÂ and continue to tune into the officialÂ Stampede BlogÂ to learn more about all of the things happening here on Park and beyond!
And don’t forget to get your entry in to become 2012’s Calgary Stampede Ultimate Intern! Â You (and a friend) can win a prize package valued at more than $3,000, which includes 24 hour access and accommodation on Stampede Park during the Calgary Stampede in July, backstage and exclusive access to many unique experiences on Park and more! Â It’s an awesome prize and a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Â Deadline’s coming up fast though; All entries must be received by May 13, 2012.
Finally, make sure you check out this week’sÂ Four Corners – presented by BURNCOÂ event happening on Saturday, May 12. Â This week, it’s the SE’s turn as we head to the South Fish Creek Recreation Complex at 100 333 Shawville Blvd S.E. Â Running from 9 a.m. to noon, there’ll be pancake breakfasts, demonstrations, special activities and more. Â With an old-time community fair and interactive games for the kids, it’s like a mini-Stampede festival in your backyard!