The spotlight is on Agriculture this week at Stampede Park as Calgary Stampede Aggie Days presented by Encana takes place in the BMO Centre. Also check out the Canadian Horseshoeing Championships, Stock Dog Arena Trials and the Calgary Stampede Spring Extreme Cowboy Race all happening this weekend as well.
Details on that and more here:
- Calgary Stampede Aggie Days presented by Encana: Everything you need to know about where your food comes from! Enjoy interactive agriculture activities, watch a miniature horse read a book, see sheep get a haircut, enjoy Indian dancing and more during Family Fun Days April 21 and 22 at the BMO Centre, Stampede Park. Fun for the whole family and admission is FREE for everyone!
- Canadian Horseshoeing Championships: Watch the sparks fly at the 10th Anniversary Canadian Horseshoeing Championships as the best teams of blacksmiths and farriers from all over Canada vie for bragging rights and a free entry to the World Blacksmiths’ Competition in July. The competition will once again conduct all classes using traditional coke fires, which makes for an interesting experience. Held in conjunction with Aggie Days, check it out April 19-21 in the Big Top. Admission to this event is free.
- Clock, Stock and Barrel – Stock Dog Arena Trials: Dog lovers and animal lovers unite as they cheer on their favourite stock dogs in the Clock, Stock and Barrel – Stock Dog Arena Trials. This timed trial challenges handlers and their stock dogs to move three sheep through a defined course and into a pen, in the fastest time. The trick: The handler controls the dog, either through whistle or voice commands. The handler must stay in the handler’s circle until all the sheep have come through the chute. Exciting to watch and fun for the whole family, check it out Saturday, April 21 in the Stampede Corral. Held in conjunction with Aggie Days, admission to this event is free.
- Calgary Stampede Spring Extreme Cowboy Race: The Extreme Cowboy Race founded by famed horseman Craig Cameron is a multi-faceted equestrian sporting event that showcases both horse and rider as they maneuver through a series of obstacles demonstrating both their amazing horsemanship skills and incredible speed. Past obstacles have included archery shoots, waterfalls, riding through flares and smoke, and even rifle shooting. Held in conjunction during Aggie Days, check it out on Sunday, April 22 in the Stampede Corral.
- Youth Employment Summer Hiring Fair: What will you do this summer? The City of Calgary Youth Employment Centre is hosting its 14th annual Summer Hiring Fair. Geared to youth aged 15-24, employers will be hiring full time, part time and seasonal employees. Youth are encouraged to bring their résumés, dress to impress and be ready for interviews. Tuesday, April 17 from 1:30 to 6 p.m. in the Big Four Building.
- Coldplay: Grammy award-winning British alternative band Coldplay will be stopping in Calgary this week on their North American tour promoting their new double platinum album Mylo Xyloto along with special guests Metronomy and The Pierces. It all starts Wednesday, April 18 at 7 p.m. at the Scotiabank Saddledome. Tickets for the concert are available through Ticketmaster.
- Habitat for Humanity Fundraiser Gala: An inaugural gala evening in support of Habitat for Humanity Southern Alberta’s Women Build 2012, join emcee Tara Nelson from CTV Calgary for a memorable evening featuring terrific silent and live auction items, tasty culinary treats and a great country music performance. It all takes place on Thursday, April 19 in the Palomino Room, BMO Centre. Tickets for the gala are available online.
- Body, Soul & Spirit Expo: Canada’s Holistic & Spiritual Lifestyle event, come share and explore all the possibilities in your quest to create a happier, healthier, more conscious and successful life. With an exciting array of exhibits, workshops, lectures and presentations, discover why the Body, Soul & Spirit Expo is one of Calgary’s favourite and unique events. April 20-22 in the Big Four Building. Tickets available at the door or online.
- Calgary Pet Industry Trade Show: Tailored to Alberta’s pet market, come see a variety of manufacturers and distributors, attend PIJAC Canada seminars, participate in various show activities, meet with industry leaders and discover new trends in the pet industry all under one roof. Open to pet industry businesses only, registration to this trade show is free. Sunday, April 22 in the Big Four Building, Hall A.
Only 82 days to go until the Calgary Stampede’s centennial! With festivities and other celebrations happening all over the place throughout the year to help celebrate 100 years of the Calgary Stampede, make sure to sign up to become a Stampede Insider for first-access to exclusive news, contests and other insider information, and be sure to keep an eye on our official Twitter account at @calgarystampede and our official Facebook fan page for giveaways, special announcements, and more! Finally, visit our website and continue to tune into the official Stampede Blog to learn more about all of the things happening here on Park and beyond!