First, if you missed Alberta Primetime’s feature last Wednesday on February 2012’s co-winner Tim Barber and his Timmy’s Only Delivery Service, check it out here.
And now, without further ado, Awesome Calgary’s March 2012 Top4 Finalists and Honourable Mentions are, in no particular order:
- Remote Robo-Art by Benjamin Reed: “The nerds & artists of Calgary are collaborating to create a remotely controllable art robot.”
- Hello Neighbour by Lane Shordee: “I moved into a home in Calgary that has a garage that was used to create carriages, so I decided to make one using scavenged material.”
- Calgary Can by Kate Letizia and Stephanie Shields: “â€˜Calgary Can’ will be an inclusive and economically viable association of informal recyclers â€“ often called bottle pickers or binners – united to meet their common economic, social and cultural needs and aspirations through a jointly owned and democratically controlled social enterprise that provides a dignified, accepting and safe working environment.”
- Stop & Drop by Lisa Gilmour: “Drop out of the rush, drop into the moment.”
- Bully Bustin’ Derby by Pam Taylor-Bailey: “Providing roller derby gear and skills to youth who are being victimized by bullies.”
- Sched-U-All Student Scheduling by Kyle MacQuarrie: “Building community by allowing students to connect outside of class for group work.”
- Art Walks by Julie Chandler: “Host art walks and donate artists’ entry fees to charities working with those living in extreme poverty.”
Make sure you join us for this month’s Thousand Dollar Thursday on Thursday, March 22 at Commonwealth Bar & Stage (731 10 Ave SW) and see the Top4 Finalists present their ideas! Doors open at 6 p.m.
In the meantime, we’re currently accepting submissions for our April 2012 prize. To submit an idea to AF-Calgary for consideration, fill out this handy-dandy web form. The deadline for April 2012 submissions is Tuesday, April 10, 2012 at 11:59 p.m.
Hope to see you out at Commonwealth on Thursday!
A wide mix of events and activities this week at Stampede Park as the 127th annual Calgary Stampede Dairy Classic Championship Show gets underway, along with performances by Hedley and Pitbull, the return of The Grape Escape and The Outdoor Adventure & Travel Show, plus the Calgary Hitmen start WHL playoff action this week as well.
Details on that and more here:
- CS Dairy Classic Championship Show: Â The 127th Calgary Stampede Dairy Classic expects to attract farmers from Canada’s four Western provinces, bringing about 150 cattle hailing from the Jersey, Black and White Holstein, and Red and White Holstein breeds. Â Taking place Friday, March 23 and Saturday, March 24 in the Agriculture Building and Victoria Pavilion, the Jersey Show will take place on the Friday, while the Holsteins will take place on the Saturday. Â A Youth Judging clinic will also take place on Thursday, March 22. Â All events and activities are open to the public and admission is free. Â For more information, check out Stampede Agriculture.
- Hedley: Â Juno award-winning Vancouver rock band Hedley is on tour promoting their fourth studio album Storms and they’re coming to the Scotiabank Saddledome this week. Â Featuring special guests Classified, Anjulie and Kay, it all starts at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, March 20. Â Tickets for the concert are available through Ticketmaster.
- PlanetPit World Tour 2012 with Flo Rida: Â American rapper and singer-songwriter Pitbull will be bringing his PlanetPit World Tour to Calgary this week, along with special guest Flo Rida. Â It all takes place on Wednesday, March 21 at 7:30 p.m. in the Stampede Corral. Â Tickets available through Ticketmaster.
- The Grape Escape: Â Informative and entertaining evenings featuring wine and beer samples from producers from all over the world, the Spring Grape Escape is back this week. Â March 23 and 24 in the BMO Centre. Â Tickets are available at all Co-op Wines & Spirits locations.
- WHL Playoffs: Â The Calgary Hitmen start playoff action this week at the Saddledome against the Brandon Wheat Kings as the WHL Eastern Conference Quarter-Finals get underway. Â Game 1 takes place on Thursday, March 22 at 7 p.m. and Game 2 on Friday, March 23 also at 7 p.m. Â Tickets for both quarter-final games are available through Ticketmaster.
- NLL Lacrosse: Â The Calgary Roughnecks take on the Buffalo Bandits this week at the Saddledome. Â The action all starts on Saturday, March 24 at 7 p.m. Tickets for the game are available through Ticketmaster.
- The Outdoor Adventure & Travel Show: Â Explore Western Canada’s largest adventure and travel show offering pre-season deals on the newest outdoor gear and amazing travel destinations! Â See canoe and kayak experts in the Whitewater Demo Pool or ignite your passion for off-loading, biking, hiking, running, water or mountain sports at over 200 exhibits. Â March 24 and 25 in the BMO Centre. Â Tickets available at the door or online.
Did you know that 2012 is theÂ Calgary Stampede’s centennial? Â There will be festivities and other celebrations happening all over the place throughout the year to help celebrate 100 years of the Calgary Stampede, so make sure to sign up to become aÂ Stampede Insider for first-access to exclusive news, contests and other insider information, and be sure to keep an eye on our official Twitter account atÂ @calgarystampede and ourÂ official Facebook fan page for giveaways, special announcements, and more! Finally, make sure to visitÂ our website and continue to tune into the officialÂ Stampede Blog to learn more about all of the things happening here on Park and beyond!